Saturday 29 November 2014

Andre Russell goes into music

West Indies fast bowler André Russell has decided to dabble in music. According to the cricketer-artiste, he will be performing under the alias Dré Russ.


Dré Russ is currently working with dancehall producer Black Spyda and Barbados’ Peter Coppin, and has already released singles Sweetheart and Sweat Whine, which features dancehall icon Beenie Man.


According to Dré Russ in a release to THE STAR, he is taking his music just as seriously as his sport.


“The same way I put out my all on the field, is the same thing I will be doing to my music career because the sky is the limit. I can balance both careers, as sometimes when I am on tour, I have a lot of free time in between matches,” he said.


Black Spyda, who also dabbled with sports before concentrating on music production, says Russell has been doing music for many years.


“Me and André know each other from second form, and we played Minor Cup cricket league together for St Catherine, and from there, other leagues, then Jamaica Under 19. Many years went by, but I know he used to deejay from back then. I had stopped playing cricket and took up producing, and recently, he linked me and said he wanted to take his music serious. I made the connection with Beenie Man, and he loved one of Russell’s songs, and that’s how the collaboration came about,” Black Spyda said.


Spyda, who recently lost his father, said he gave music a break to mourn earlier this year. However, he is gradually making steps to re-establish himself as one of dancehall’s top producers.


“I lost my father this year, so 2014 was not all that good for me because I wasn’t doing much music. But right now, I have a lot of singles working on. I am also doing some work with Bounty Killer’s son that will be released soon,” he said.


Black Spyda is currently promoting the Sanguinary rhythm and part two of his Sunlight Party rhythm. The producer also has new singles in the works from RDX, I Octane, Aidonia, Demarco, Cobra, among others.





West Indies cricketer Dwayne Bravo also dabbles in music, as well as Chris Gayle, who co-owns record label Dutty Fridaze promotion with his brother.

Andre Russell goes into music

No comments:

Post a Comment