Sunday, 27 July 2014

Five Steez gets ‘Deadly’ in ‘These Kingston Times’

Independent artist, Five Steez, has released first single, ‘Deadly’, from his forthcoming digital EP, ‘These Kingston Times’

. The track is available for streaming on Soundcloud and as a free download

exclusively on Bandcamp until the release of the project.


‘Deadly’, produced by DJ Crooks, features a classic Hip Hop breakbeat mixed with a vintage Reggae

sound and a signature Dancehall chant. Equipped with sharp verses as well as

a hypnotic hook and bridge, Five Steez makes this one a sure crowd pleaser.


“I had fun with this record because it’s so Hip Hop

,

and it fuses elements from di

fferent Jamaican

genres so well,” says Five Steez. “

I just went in with th

e flow and

,

of course, I had to big up people

like Heavy D and Chubb Rock, who were also born in Jamaica.”

“I’m glad that F

ive

rocked it

like he did,” says the California

-

based, Jamaica

-

born DJ Crooks. “

It’s Hip

Hop at its purest, really. This is how we c

an honour the dynamic nature of the Jamaican music

culture, paying respect to Reggae and Hip Hop at the same time.”

‘

These Kingston Times

‘

is said to be

the modern tale of the Jamaican capital, Kingston.

“I wanted to

paint my city the way I see it, and in

a way I’ve never heard the story told before in music,” says Five

Steez. “Since Hip Hop’s genesis with

DJ

Kool Herc, there has always been a Jamaican influence and

involvement in the genre, but you’ve never heard about actual life here in ‘yard’, as we

aff

ectionately call it. It’s a new perspective in Hip Hop, but parallel to that of urban environments

worldwide.”

‘

Deadly

’ does not even scratch the surface,

however,

according to Five Steez. “The project gets

dark, deep and

grimy at times, but

I want to ease

people into it without giving away too much of

what it’s really about till

they

hear it.”

‘

These Kingston Times

’ is set for

an

October 14

release

via Bandcamp, iTunes and other outlets.

Five Steez is an independent rapper from Kingston, Jamaica who bega

n capturing attention in 2010

with his ‘

Momentum

’ mixtape series alongside Bronx

-

based DJ Ready Cee, and later his 2012 debut

album, ‘

War for Peace

’, which received great reviews from various outlets, including iTunes.

Steez

has since gone on to organizing

K

ingston’s premier Hip Hop event

–

Pay Attention.




Five Steez gets ‘Deadly’ in ‘These Kingston Times’

No comments:

Post a Comment